soundwaves


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

26.11.09

My Name is Asher Lev

I just finished My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok. Such a brilliantly composed piece of literature, i haven't read anything from Potok since i first read his book The Chosen in middle school. I'm so thankful i picked this book off the shelves in Powell's.

A couple of highlight quotes:

"Sometimes I think it is not wise to grow too old......But I am not aware that we are given a choice in the matter."
- Jacob Kahn
"But it would have made me a whore to leave it incomplete. It would have made it easier to leave future work incomplete. It would have made it more and more difficult to draw upon that additional aching surge of effort that is always the difference between integrity and deceit in a created work. I would not be the whore to my own existence. Can you understand that? I would not be the whore to my own existence"
- Asher Lev
"Now there was ice and darkness inside me. I could feel the cold darkness moving slowly inside me.I could feel our darkness. It seemed to me then that we were brothers, he and I, that we both knew lands of ice and darkness. His had been in the past; mine was in the present. His had been outside himself; mine was within me. Yes, we were brothers, he and I, and I felt closer to him at that moment than to any other human being in all the world."
- Asher Lev

I need to get a hold of the sequel to this book immediately.......
Oh, and while i was reading the final chapter of this book i was listening to the self titled Arcade Fire EP - Vampires/Forest Fires couldn't have fit better as the soundtrack to the final portion of this novel.

No comments: